The Application Process
Start the Journey
An organization earns or renews the Pathway to Excellence® designation through a comprehensive review process.
Effective January 1, 2017, The Pathway to Excellence designation is granted for 4 years.
Step 1: Online Application & Application Fee
Effective June 1, 2018, all application materials must be received via the Pathway portal www.pteapplication.org at least 8 months before the requested date of the Pathway Standards document submission.
A completed Pathway application includes:
- Submission of online application
- CNO or DON curriculum vitae, copy of Hospital Operating Certificate or other independent verification of licensed beds, and Organizational Chart.
- The application fee is non-refundable and will be due at the time of application.
The application will be processed when payment is received. The application fee must be paid by check or credit card in the Pathway portal.
P.O. Box 505012
St. Louis, MO 63150-5012
Step 2: Document Submission & Document Submission Fee
Organizations are required to:
- Upload the Pathway Standards Document that includes the Organizational Overview, the Pathway Standards Written Responses, and the Organizational Demographic Form (ODF) via the Pathway portal www.pteapplication.org.
- Process the document submission fee by check or credit card in the Pathway portal.
Remittance address: ANCC Pathway P.O. Box 505012 St. Louis, MO 63150-5012
- Document Submission Fee
- Document submission dates are
- February 1,
- April 1
- June 1
- August 1
- November 1
Step 3: Appraisal Process
During the Appraisal Process, the document submission is evaluated by at least three ANCC nursing experts. Appraisers evaluate the content provided by the organization for each Pathway Standard requirement. An organization must meet all Pathway Standards.
Step 4: Nurse Survey
Following a successful Pathway Standards document review, the Pathway Nurse Survey is administered. Nurses in the organization confirm the integration of Pathway Practice Standards using a confidential online survey conducted by the ANCC. The organization must meet survey thresholds.
Step 5: Designation Decision
The Commission on Pathway to Excellence conducts a thorough review of the Pathway Standards document report and Pathway Nurse Survey results and makes the final decision regarding designation based on the appraisers' evaluations and the Pathway Nurse Survey results.
You are now leaving the American Nurses Foundation
The American Nurses Foundation is a separate charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation does not engage in political campaign activities or communications.
The Foundation expressly disclaims any political views or communications published on or accessible from this website.Continue Cancel