The American Nurses Foundation is dedicated to transforming the nation’s health through the power of nursing. We find and fund new ways of solving problems, generating new ideas and tools, and laying the framework to promote a more positive experience for both nurses and patients. However, to do so we need your help.
To continue the critical work that we do, we rely on donations. Financial support can come in many forms:
- Direct Donations;
- Memorial and Honor A Nurse gifts;
- Gifts of Stock and IRA Funds;
- Estate planning;
- Combined Federal Campaign;
- Amazon Smile; and
- Donate Your Vehicle.
Whether you’re considering a one-time donation or the kind of substantial pledge that might gain a place on our American Nurses Foundation Legacy Wall, make a contribution – to know that you’re making a difference.
Please note that the Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization and that all contributions are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
Any direct donations – be they a one-time gift or an ongoing monthly commitment – will go towards helping fund the wide range of work that we do to support nurses and improve health care for all.
The easiest way to show your appreciation for nursing is by donating via the website. This will also allow you to take advantage of any matching donation program your employer may be part of (please be sure to check the box on the donation page).
You can also send us a donation through the mail to:
American Nurses Foundation
P.O. Box 504342
Saint Louis, MO
Memorial and Honor a Nurse gifts
Make a gift in memory or in honor of a family member, a special nurse, or a loved one. The Foundation's staff would be pleased to assist you in choosing an appropriate commemoration for your gift in memory of someone, or for an event such as a birthday, anniversary, or graduation.
If you wish to send your donation by mail, please send your contribution to the following address.
American Nurses Foundation
P.O. Box 504342
Saint Louis, MO 63150-4342
If you wish to submit your donation online, follow the link below.
To celebrate the contribution of a specific caregiver, find out more about The Honor a Nurse program – which allows donations to be made in recognition of an individual caregiver. It’s a way of saying a heartfelt thank you to an individual nurse or group of nurses, while at the same time supporting nurses in general to help more people, every day.
Many people who support the American Nurses Association and the Foundation say they derive great satisfaction from their generosity and would like to do more. The Foundation can suggest creative ways to support the American Nurses Foundation that you might not have considered. This is a free service provided by the Foundation; there is no cost to help you plan your estate.
Some examples of those planned gift vehicles are...
There are many ways that you, your loved ones, and nurses and their patients can benefit from including the American Nurses Foundation in your estate plans. Please note that this information is not intended as legal or financial advice.
You can receive more information by contacting Kate Judge, Kate.Judge@ana.org
Example Bequest Language
The following includes several examples of suggested bequest wording to benefit the American Nurses Foundation. The Foundation, an independent, nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation founded in 1955, is dedicated to transforming the health of the nation through the power of nurses.
Each individual situation is unique and, therefore, these examples include only some of the possible gift opportunities. We encourage you to share your final will provision with the Foundation’s Office to ensure that your wishes will be properly followed and recognized.
To assist you with your plans, we can provide sample language for the program or area you wish to support. This confidential service is available to you without obligation.
To request specialized language for a will or trust, please contact Kate Judge, Kate.Judge@ana.org
Percentage of Estate- For unrestricted purposes
I hereby give, devise and bequeath to the American Nurses Foundation, a nonprofit, non-stock Maryland corporation with its principal office in Silver Spring, Maryland, _____ percent (%) of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate as an unrestricted gift to be used in the area of greatest need at the time the gift is received.
I may choose at a later date to enter into a separate agreement between myself and the Foundation related to the use of this gift and would request that the Foundation utilize the gift in accordance with the terms of that agreement.
Percentage of Estate- For a specific purpose
I hereby give, devise and bequeath to the American Nurses Foundation, a nonprofit, non-stock Maryland corporation with its principal office in Silver Spring, Maryland, _____percent ( %) of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate to be used for _______________ at the Foundation. It is understood and agreed that should the purpose for which this bequest is instituted cease to exist, then the Foundation may devote said bequest for such other uses and purposes as it determines to be in accordance with my original intent in making this gift.
Specific Amount- For unrestricted purposes
I hereby give, devise and bequeath to the American Nurses Foundation, a nonprofit, non-stock Maryland corporation with its principal office in Silver Spring, Maryland, the sum of _______ dollars ($ ) as an unrestricted gift to be used in the area of greatest need at the time the gift is received.
I may choose at a later date to enter into a separate agreement between myself and the Foundation related to the use of this gift and would request that the Foundation and the University utilize the gift in accordance with the terms of that agreement.
Specific Amount- For a specific purpose
I hereby give, devise and bequeath to the American Nurses Foundation, a nonprofit, non-stock Maryland corporation with its principal offices in Silver Spring, Maryland, the sum of __________ dollars ($ ) to be used for _____________________________at the Foundation.
It is understood and agreed that should the purpose for which this bequest is instituted cease to exist, then the Foundation may devote said bequest for such other uses and purposes as it determines to be in accordance with my original intent in making this gift.
Gifts of stock and IRA funds
Achieve a profound lasting legacy, by supporting the Foundation endowment.
Thanks to the support of some generous donors, we have been able to initiate a wide range of programs that have benefitted nursing at multiple levels, from providing nursing research grants, to supporting public policy and fellowship programs.
Partial list of endowments
- Anne Zimmerman Research Endowment Fund – Supports nursing research related to nursing practice or social policy.
- Burnett Munsil Endowed Future Fund – General.
- Chow-Togaski-Breitenbach Endowed Research Fund – Supports nursing research.
- Dorothy A. Cornelius Scholar Endowment Fund - Supports nursing research.
- Dorothy E. Reilly Endowment Fund – General.
- Eleanor Lambertson Scholar Endowment Fund - Supports nursing research.
- Elizabeth Carnegie Endowed Research Fund- Supports research about African American nurses.
- Florence Nightingale Endowment Fund – General.
- Hildegard E. Peplau Endowed Research Fund – Supports nursing research in psychiatric/mental health with an interpersonal focus.
- International Nurses Endowment Fund – Supports nursing education, science, and research that enhances the prestige of nursing in the international community.
- Irene Trowell-Harris Endowed Leadership Fund – Supports initiatives that give nurses a greater voice in influencing health care delivery and policy.
- Jean E. Johnson Scholar Endowment Fund - Supports nursing research scholars focused on reducing the negative impact of illness – especially cancer.
- Julia Hardy Endowed Fund – Supports nursing health care systems initiatives.
- Leadership and Innovation Endowed Fund – Supports innovative programs.
- Lucile V. Lukens Endowment Fund - Supports nursing research.
- Margaretta Madden Styles Credentialing Endowed Fund – Supports nursing research on the impact of nurse credentialing.
- Marion I. Strachan Endowment Fund - Supports nursing research.
- Martha E. Brill Endowment Fund – Supports special projects and research.
- Sayre Memorial Endowment Fund – Supports nursing research focused on patient care and leadership/management interactions.
- Susie Robinson Scholarship Endowment Fund- Supports the ANA Minority Fellowship Program.
- Virginia S. Cleland Endowed Research Fund –Supports nursing research.
- Virginia Kelley Endowed Research Fund – Supports nursing research in the field of women’s health.
- Virginia Stone Endowment Fund – Supports clinical nursing research in gerontology.
Combined Federal Campaign
You can support the Foundation through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) or the United Way. The CFC is the largest and most successful workplace fundraising campaign in the world.
The Foundation's CFC designation number is: 10550.
Please contact your workplace to see how you can participate, and encourage your colleagues to check the American Nurses Foundation on their giving form also.
You can help the Foundation simply by doing your shopping online. By signing up to the Amazon Smile program, you can ensure that we receive 0.5% of the price of your eligible purchases.
Donate your vehicle
Even that old automobile you never quite got around to selling can be turned into a means of supporting the 4 million registered nurses in the U.S. – and a handy tax break for yourself. We have teamed up with the V-DAC organization to offer a free, convenient service for converting that extra car, truck, or RV into a tax-deductible donation benefiting the Foundation.
Housed at the American Nurses Association Headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland, the Legacy Wall recognizes American Nurses Foundation donors whose contributions over the course of their lifetime are $10,000 or more to the American Nurses Foundation.
My legacy is to ensure nurses always have the opportunity to personify the value of compassion; develop more skills to advance the profession; improve communications to promote the public health and better serve patients; learn techniques to aid the healing process supporting the mission and work of the American Nurses Foundation.
- Bronze - $10,000 - $24,999
- Silver - $25,000 - $74,999
- Gold - $75,000 - $149,999
- Platinum - $150,000 - $499,999
- President’s Circle - $500,000+
Pledge plans are available by contacting: Kate Judge via e-mail or at 301-628-5228.
You may also mail checks to:
American Nurses Foundation
P.O. Box 504342
Saint Louis, MO 63150-4342
All donations support the mission of the American Nurses Foundation. The American Nurses Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization. All contributions are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
You are now leaving the American Nurses Foundation
The American Nurses Foundation is a separate charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation does not engage in political campaign activities or communications.
The Foundation expressly disclaims any political views or communications published on or accessible from this website.Continue Cancel