Apply for the Pathway to Excellence®
By empowering nurses today, an organization can address the complex needs of modern health care, and firmly establish a strong position for tomorrow. If your organization is committed to a positive practice environment and investing in nurses, then begin your Pathway to Excellence® journey.
How to apply
The following resources are available to assist in the decision process:
- Acute Care Self- Assessment of Organizational Culture
- 2020 Pathway to Excellence Application Manual
- Long Term Care Self-Assessment of Organizational Culture
- 2019 Magnet-2016 Pathway Criteria Crosswalk
- 2019 Magnet–2020 Pathway Criteria Crosswalk
- 2023 Magnet-2016 Pathway Criteria Crosswalk
- 2023 Magnet-2020 Pathway Criteria Crosswalk
- Pathway Program Office at Pathwayinfo@ana.org
Complete applicant Registration
All application materials must be received via the Pathway Portal www.pteapplication.org at least 8 -12 months before the requested date of the Pathway Standards document submission.
Register via the Pathway Portal online application: Pathway Applicant Registration includes:
- Complete the registration form
- Upload the following documents:
- CNO or DON curriculum vitae
- Organizational chart(s) that reflects the CNO / DON relationship with the 1) Executive Leadership 2) nursing services and 3) additional campus(es) as applicable.
- Operating license or other independent verification of licensed beds if applicable.
- Pay the non-refundable Applicant Registration fee application fee at the time of application, with a check or credit card via the Pathway Portal.
P.O. Box 505035
St. Louis, MO 63150-5035
Upload the Pathway Standards Document in the Pathway Portal via www.pteapplication.org.
The Pathway to Excellence® Document is an organization’s written response to the requirements of the application manual. It includes the Organizational Demographic Form (ODF), Organizational Overview (OO) documents, and Elements of Performance (EOP) Narratives showing how the standards are implemented. This is used as the primary appraisal method for applicant organizations.
Document submission dates:
- February 1
- April 1
- June 1
- August 1
- November 1
For current fees, please visit Program Fees page.
If applicants are requesting a Pathway Standards Document extension, they may choose from the next two submission cycles – dependent on availability. However, applicants requesting to extend beyond two submission cycles must reapply.
Organizational demographic form
All organizations must also submit a completed Organizational Demographic Form (ODF) as part of the Pathway Standards Document.
The ODF collects organizational data, and is used in conjunction with the other requested organizational information to provide reviewers with context for understanding the evidence submitted by applicants.
In addition, organizations that achieve Pathway to Excellence designation are required to submit an updated ODF during their mid-cycle year as part of their interim monitoring requirements. Please see Interim Monitoring Requirements for more information.
If your organization is committed to a positive practice environment and investing in nurses, then begin your Pathway to Excellence journey
Organizations that successfully pass the Pathway Standards Document review phase will be notified by the Pathway Program Office to advance to the nurse survey phase.
To achieve the Pathway to Excellence or Pathway to Excellence in Long Term Care designation:
- All Practice Standards must be met; and
- Survey thresholds must be met.
The Commission on Pathway to Excellence makes the final determination regarding designation.
Please Note: When an organization’s designation expires and if the organization fails to designate, the next time that organization applies will be considered a Re-application.
You May Also Like
You are now leaving the American Nurses Foundation
The American Nurses Foundation is a separate charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation does not engage in political campaign activities or communications.
The Foundation expressly disclaims any political views or communications published on or accessible from this website.Continue Cancel