Library of Magnet Journal Articles
Nurse Attraction and Retention
Lower nurse dissatisfaction and burnout
- Schlak AE, Aiken LH, Chittams J, Poghosyan L, McHugh M. Leveraging the work environment to minimize the negative impact of nurse burnout on patient outcomes. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021 Jan;18(2):610.
Higher nurse job satisfaction
- Rodríguez-García MC, Márquez-Hernández VV, Belmonte-García T, Gutiérrez-Puertas L, Granados-Gámez G. How magnet hospital status affects nurses, patients, and organizations: A systematic review. AJN The American Journal of Nursing. 2020 Jul 1;120(7):28-38.
Quality and Safety
Higher nurse perceptions of the quality of care
- Lasater KB, McCabe MA, Lake ET, Frankenberger WD, Roberts KE, Agosto PD, Riman KA, Bettencourt AP, Schierholz ES, Catania G, Aiken LH. Safety and quality of pediatric care in freestanding children’s and general hospitals. Hospital Pediatrics. 2020 May;10(5):408-14.
Higher patient ratings of hospital experience
- Spaulding A, Hamadi H, Moody L, Lentz L, Liu XA, Wu YJ. Do Magnet®-Designated Hospitals Perform Better on Medicare's Value-Based Purchasing Program?. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2020 Jul 1;50(7/8):395-401.
- McCaughey D, McGhan GE, Rathert C, Williams JH, Hearld KR. Magnetic work environments: Patient experience outcomes in Magnet versus non-Magnet hospitals. Health care management review. 2020 Jan 1;45(1):21-31.
- Hamadi HY, Martinez D, Palenzuela J, Spaulding AC. Magnet hospitals and 30-day readmission and mortality rates for medicare beneficiaries. Medical Care. 2021 Jan 30;59(1):6-12.
- Kutney-Lee A, Stimpfel AW, Sloane DM, Cimiotti JP, Quinn LW, Aiken LH. Changes in patient and nurse outcomes associated with magnet hospital recognition. Medical care. 2015 Jun;53(6):550.
Higher net inpatient income
- Karim SA, Pink GH, Reiter KL, Holmes GM, Jones CB, Woodard EK. The effect of the magnet recognition signal on hospital financial performance. Journal of Healthcare Management. 2018 Nov 1;63(6):e131-46.
- Mezzina P, Agbozo D, Hileman P. Leveraging Magnet® principles: Leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic. Nursing Management. 2021 Dec;52(12):22.
- Erickson JI, Johnson SH, Blanchfield BB. Using Magnet Model Components at a COVID-19–Positive Field Hospital. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2020 Sep 1;50(9):435-7.
You are now leaving the American Nurses Foundation
The American Nurses Foundation is a separate charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation does not engage in political campaign activities or communications.
The Foundation expressly disclaims any political views or communications published on or accessible from this website.Continue Cancel