Margarita Baggett is the chief clinical officer (CCO) for UC San Diego Health System. In this role she serves as a key member of the hospitals’ senior management team and is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and controlling all functions of Nursing Services, Pharmacy Services, Care Coordination, and Volunteer Services.
Margarita Baggett is the chief clinical officer (CCO) for UC San Diego Health System. In this role she serves as a key member of the hospitals’ senior management team and is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and controlling all functions of Nursing Services, Pharmacy Services, Care Coordination, and Volunteer Services. She played a key role in leading the organization to attain ANCC Magnet Recognition® Status in December 2011. Margarita and her team transformed their practice environment by supporting and promoting the role of the professional nurse, using the Magnet® Model as a framework.
She is a highly accomplished nursing leader with extensive experience in quality management, service excellence, patient throughput, staff recruitment and retention, and regulatory affairs. Previously, Margarita served for 27 years in the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Healthcare System in Manhasset, New York. During that time she held many roles including deputy executive director, nurse executive, and associate executive director for Patient Care Services and Care Coordination. She also led North Shore University Hospital to Magnet Recognition® in 2001.
Margarita consults nationally and internationally, assisting organizations in developing strategic plans to address gaps in Magnet readiness. Her vast knowledge of hospital operations gives her the ability to help organizations demonstrate how their mission, vision, values, and strategic plans relate to the Magnet Recognition Program®. She is also a facilitator at the ANCC Journey to Magnet Excellence® workshops.
Summary of Services
- Reduces complex tasks to manageable steps, empowering those with whom she works with the confidence to succeed.
- Coaches organizations to implement successful strategies for incorporating shared governance, evidence-based practices, and research into their professional practice environments.
- Conducts system- or organization-wide gap analyses.
- Develops customized education and training to support organizational needs.
- Conducts comprehensive on-site reviews in preparation for site visits.
- BSN, Molloy College, Rockville Centre, NY
- MSN, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
- Graduate of the Wharton Nursing Leaders Program, Philadelphia, PA
- American Nurses Credentialing Center – Certificate Holder in Fundamentals of Magnet®
- Nursing Spectrum, Advisory Board Member
- California Institute for Nursing and Health Care
- American Nurses Association
- Association of California Nurse Leaders
- San Diego State University, Adjunct Clinical Professor