Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification (AGACNP-BC®)
Credential Awarded: AGACNP-BC®
The ANCC Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) board certification examination is a competency-based entry-level examination that provides a valid and reliable assessment of the clinical knowledge and skills of the AGACNP. This certification aligns with the Consensus Model for APRN Regulation: Licensure, Accreditation, Certification and Education. Once you complete eligibility requirements to take the certification examination and successfully pass the exam, you are awarded the credential: AGACNP-BC (Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner-Board Certified). This credential is valid for 5 years. You can continue to use this credential by maintaining your license to practice and meeting the renewal requirements in place at the time of your certification renewal. The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification accredits this ANCC certification.
FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS: For faster service, please have your documents available in an electronic format to upload during the application process. If your documents are not available upon application, you may upload them at any time by clicking here.
See below for instruction and pricing for new and renewal applications.
Apply for Certification
Initial Certification Application
You may apply for this computer-based test year round and test during a 90-day window at a time and location convenient to you. The exam allows 3.5 hours to answer 175 questions (150 scored plus 25 pretest questions that are not scored). For exam prep resources, scroll down to view Study Aids. If you do not pass a certification exam, learn about retesting..
STEP 1: Confirm Pricing and Eligibility
See Pricing & Discounts
|Pricing & Discounts||INITIAL CERTIFICATION|
|American Nurses Association members*||$295|
|American Association of Nurse Practitioners member||$340|
|American Association of Nurse Practitioners student member||$290|
|Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA) member||$340|
Hold a current, active RN license in a state or territory of the United States or hold the professional, legally recognized equivalent in another country.
Master’s, Post-graduate certificate, or Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Hold an adult-gerontology acute care nurse practitioner (AGACNP) master's, post-graduate certificate, or DNP from an institution with a program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), or the National League for Nursing (NLN) Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA)**. A minimum of 500 faculty-supervised clinical hours must be included in the AGACNP program.
Three separate, comprehensive, graduate-level APRN Core courses in:”
- Advanced physiology/pathophysiology, including general principles that apply across the life span
- Advanced health assessment, which includes assessment of all human systems, advanced assessment techniques, concepts, and approaches
- Advanced pharmacology, which includes pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacotherapeutics of all broad categories of agents
- Health promotion and/or maintenance
- Differential diagnosis and disease management, including the use and prescription of pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic interventions
*Candidates may be authorized to sit for the examination after all coursework and faculty-supervised clinical practice hours for the degree are complete, prior to degree conferral and graduation, provided that all other eligibility requirements are met. The Validation of Education (VOE) form and official/unofficial transcripts detailing planning coursework and faculty-supervised clinical hour completion must be submitted before authorization to test (ATT) status will be issued. ANCC will accept unofficial transcripts, which ANCC defines as either a photocopy of a transcript, a comprehensive record of your academic progress or a print out of all work completed, to date, including coursework, grades and degree(s) earned or in progress. Unofficial transcripts allow ANCC to process and review applications for ATT status. ANCC reserves the right to reject any unofficial transcript that appears to be altered.
For candidates in ATT status, ANCC will retain exam results and issue certification only after all eligibility requirements are met, a passing exam result is on file, and on the date the final, degree-conferred official transcript is received.
**Please note that ANCC is not an accreditor of nursing programs. ANCC’s review of accreditation is designed only for purposes of evaluating eligibility for certification. If you need more details specifically related to the CCNE or ACEN or CNEA accreditation status of a program and/or institution, we encourage you to review the CCNE and/or ACEN websites directly at https://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE, https://www.acenursing.org/, OR https://cnea.nln.org/.
STEP 3: Submit Education Verification Documents
|Mail/E-Mail these materials:||Mailing address:||Email:|
Step 4: Testing
IMPORTANT NOTICE February 1, 2023: Effective immediately, Live Remote Proctoring (LRP) is no longer offered as scheduling option for any ANCC certification exams. Candidates who are currently scheduled for testing via LRP will not be affected. LRP was made available during the COVID-19 pandemic when testing centers closed and subsequently reopened with limited capacity. All Prometric testing centers are now available with pre-pandemic capacity. To schedule your exam, please visit https://www.prometric.com/ancc.
Maintain & Renew
To maintain certification, complete professional development requirements between the start and end dates of your certification, and provide this information on your renewal application.
CALENDAR Your Renewal Date
Certifications are renewed every 5 years. You may submit a renewal application up to 1 year prior to your expiration. You may be ineligible to practice beyond your expiration date.
CREATE an ANCC Account
Track professional development, mail preferences and purchases in one place. Online applications are also stored in your account. Visit Access My Account
UPDATE Contact Information
If you move, change names or acquire a new phone or email, please update contact details in your account. Or email Customer Care or call 1.800.284.2378.
DISPLAY Your Credentials
Learn common questions and answers about displaying your credentials in the proper order.
Download How to Display Your Credentials.
TRACK PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WITH ANCC
Online renewal is simpler when you store professional development activities in your ANCC account immediately upon completion. At renewal, you can transfer stored information to the renewal application, saving time. Note: To renew online, you must store professional development activities before starting the online renewal application.
- After each activity, gather proof of professional development.
- Click Track Professional Development to the right.
- Enter and save professional development activities.
- From account summary, top right column, under Professional Development find links to enter continuing education (contact hours), academic credits, presentations, publications/research, preceptorship and professional service.
- Log out.
Renewal Certification Application
You may submit a renewal application up to 1 year prior to your expiration.
STEP 1: Review Requirements, FAQs, and Pricing
See Pricing & Discounts
|Pricing & Discounts||RENEWAL|
|American Nurses Association members||$275|
|American Association of Nurse Practitioners member||$295|
|Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA) member||$320|
- Prices above include $140 non-refundable administrative fee. Additional fees for special services may apply. See application for details.
- Discounts may be claimed for up to 5 business days after ANCC receives your application. Discount claims received after this time will not be honored and refunds will not be issued.
STEP 2: Submit Renewal Application
Required: BEFORE starting a renewal application online, proof of professional development must be entered and stored in your ANCC online account. To record professional development activities go to Maintain Certification: Track Professional Development with ANCC. Then return to renew online.
RENEW ONLINE TRACK PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
RENEW BY MAIL
If you would like to renew by mail, please send a request to email@example.com.