National Survey on Racism in Nursing
This survey of 5,623 nurses in October 2021 shows racism is a substantial problem within the profession. The survey was conducted by the National Commission to Address Racism in Nursing.
Summary of Listening Sessions
The Commission held listening sessions to hear directly from nurses of color. These conversations informed policies and practices to address systemic racism.
Read More [PDF]
Confronting Racism: The Work Ahead for Nurses
Navigating Nursing Webinar, 1.0 Contact Hour CNE
Nurses like you are confronted with racism both personally and professionally – impacting the mental, spiritual, and physical health of all people. This webinar teaches you how to confront systemic racism within the nursing profession and address the impact that racism within nursing has on patients, families, communities, the health care system, and colleagues.
(Free for ANA Members)
Project ECHO: Racism in Nursing Series 1
ECHO on Racism in Nursing Series 1 wrapped up in June 2022. The Project ECHO® Model is an “all teach, all learn” approach to knowledge-sharing throughout health systems and communities.
- Understanding unconscious bias and microaggressions [YouTube]
- 20 minutes
- March 2, 2022
- Facilitator: Bart Bailey
- Tools to address racism in clinical practice: Confronting racism on the unit and at the bedside [YouTube]
- 27 minutes
- March 16, 2022
- Facilitator: Dr. Bridgette Brawner
- Nursing Code of Ethics and ethical implications of racism: Understanding the ethical responsibilities to the profession and patients [YouTube]
- 27 minutes
- March 30, 2022
- Facilitator: Nikki Akparewa
- Courageous conversations and allyship: Addressing unknowing perpetrators and enablers of racism [YouTube]
- 31 minutes
- April 13, 2022
- Facilitator: Dr. Jaime Washington
- Handling retaliation: When to fight and when to walk away [YouTube]
- 25 minutes
- April 27, 2022
- Facilitator: Dr. Kenya Beard
- Navigating the burden of representation and combating imposter syndrome [YouTube]
- May 11, 2022
- Facilitator: Dr. Frieda Outlaw
- Racism in academia: Building a supportive academic environment and navigating new graduate challenges [YouTube]
- May 25, 2022
- Facilitator: Dr. Vernell DeWitty
- Lessons Learned: Historical context, contemporary context, where do we go from here? [video to come]
- June 8, 2022
- Facilitator: Dr. Rumay Alexander
Interested in participating in the next series? Learn more.