Three Developmental Phases of Shared Governance in Nursing
- Staff nurse representatives—members of clinical forums, have authority for designated practice -issues and some authority for de-termining roles, functions, and processes.
- Managers - members of management forums, responsible for facilitation of practice through -resource management and allocation.
- Executive committee - administrative and staff membership, often in disproportionate numbers, - accept recommendations from staff nurses and managers.
- Chief nurse executive - retains final decision-making authority.
- Staff nurse representatives - members of nursing committees that are designated for specific - management and/or clinical functions.
- Managers - serve on same committees with staff nurses.
- Committee chairs - appointed by chief nurse executive.
- Nursing cabinet - composed of multiple committee chairs that make final decisions on recommendations from the committees.
- Staff nurse representatives - belong to councils with authority for specific functions.
- Council chairs - make up management committee charged with making all final operational -decisions.