ANA Position Statement
Needle Exchange and HIV
ANA Position Statement - Approved 4/2/1993
The American Nurses Association (ANA) supports the availability of needle exchange programs which include:
- The adherence to public health and infection control guidelines
- Education about the transmission of HIV disease
- Confidential HIV testing with pre & post-test counseling
- Access for referral of injection drug users (IDUs) to treatment and rehabilitation services
- Access to needle exchange programs at the local community level
- The development of public policy to support needle exchange programs with access to health screening and drug treatment services
- The utilization of qualified health care providers, including nurses, as resources for quality, cost-effective program outcomes
- Continued research of the effectiveness of needle exchange programs which include access to primary health care screening and drug treatment.
ANA members: Please log in to access the full position statement.
Not an ANA member yet?
You are now leaving the American Nurses Foundation
The American Nurses Foundation is a separate charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation does not engage in political campaign activities or communications.
The Foundation expressly disclaims any political views or communications published on or accessible from this website.Continue Cancel