Health System Reform Resources
The American Nurses Association (ANA) believes that everyone deserves access to the highest quality care, and that meaningful health care reform is essential. For decades, ANA has fought to improve care, with the values of nursing at its core – and is committed to doing so in the future. Here are some of the resources, press releases, and backgrounders regarding ANA’s historical policy and advocacy efforts.
Health care reform resources 2016-present
In recent years, ANA has continued to build on decades of commitment to ensuring that health care reform benefits all. With several attempts by the Senate to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), came the need for ANA to use the expertise and experience of its members to engage policymakers to keep patients safe.
- American Nurses Association Plan Year 2018 Open Enrollment Advocacy and Outreach Campaign Final Report [pdf]
- Brookings Analysis Confirms Fears of Graham-Cassidy’s Deep Negative Impacts and Implementation Challenges
- ANA Letter to C/SNAs in Response to CMS Medicare IPPS Final Rule on Nurse Staffing Measures
- ANA Infographic: Timeline of the Senate’s 4 Attempts to Reduce Access to Quality Care
July 21, 2017
- ANA Policy Analysis of Amended Senate Republican Bill: "Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017 (BCRA)"
July 14, 2017
- ANA Infographic: What's at Stake for Nurses and Patients without the Affordable Care Act
- ANA Issue Brief: The High Stakes of ACA Repeal and the 2017 Senate Health Care Plan - What You Need to Know
- ANA Health Care Talking Points: The Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017 (BCRA) and Its Impact on the Health Care System
June 23, 2017. (Members only)
- ANA Policy Analysis of Draft Senate Republican Bill: "Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017" (BCRA)
June 22, 2017
- Health Affairs Report on Health Spending by State, 1991-2014
- House Passes AHCA with Options for State Waivers
- The American Health Care Act Moves Forward With Deep Flaws
- The Impact of Medicaid Expansion on the U.S. Health Care System
- Policy Analysis of the American Health Care Act 2017
- ANA Policy Priorities for ACA Replacement or Repair - Position Comments
- ANA Policy Priorities for ACA Replacement or Repair - Moving Forward
- ANA Opposition Letter to the American Healthcare Act (AHCA)
March 8, 2017
- Patient Freedom, S.191, 2017 – A Complex Approach to Replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Draft House Republican Bill to Replace Affordable Care Act Would Undo Major Gains for the Law
- ANA Advocacy Toolbox
- Principles for Health System Transformation
- ANA and Health Care Reform – A History Infographic
- Talking Points: ANA Principles on Health Care System Reform
- How Repealing Portions of the Affordable Care Act Would Affect Health Insurance Coverage and Premiums
Congressional Budget Office, January 2017
- Executive Order: Minimizing the Economic Burden of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Pending Repeal
- Executive Order 13765 - January 20, 2017
- Kaiser Family Foundation: Medicaid State Fact Sheets
Health Care Policy Primers
The Health Care Policy Primers page lists a number of documents which give a high-level overview of some of the topics being widely discussed during the national debate on health care reform. These primers aim to act as a resource as this debate continues to evolve in the coming months.
- Message from ANA President Pam Cipriano: ACA Open Enrollment Begins Nov. 15
ANA President Pam Cipriano, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN, offers a special message about Nov. 15 – the beginning of the next open enrollment period for people to obtain health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Nationwide, nurses have been helping people sign up for coverage, and it’s important to keep up the momentum.
- Health Care Transformation: The Affordable Care Act and How it Affects Nurses
This UPDATED (June, 2014) document describes many provisions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and how they affect nurses and nursing practice. It includes explanations about how ANA has advocated for implementation of the ACA and the opportunities the ACA offers for nurses in education and practice.
- ANA Analysis: Supreme Court Arguments on the ACA
ANA's experts in law and policy have reviewed the official court transcripts, and presented an analysis of the arguments and the impact of the nursing voice on the future of the health reform law.
- New Animation Explains Changes Coming for Americans Under Obamacare
Video from the Kaiser Family Foundation
- Keeping Health Care Reform Healthy, Patients Informed [pdf]
Updated July 2013
- Benefits of the Health Care Law
- How Nurses can get involved
- Health System Reform: Nursing's Goal of Quality, Affordable Care for All
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act — or PPACA — roughly follows the key areas that ANA has set forth as necessary for effective health reform; the latest iteration of this policy was ANA’s Health System Reform Agenda (2008).
- ANA Policy and Provisions of Health Reform Law
This chart compares the key elements of ANA’s Health System Reform Agenda (2008) with provisions of the recently enacted Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (including modifications made by the 2010 Reconciliation Act).
- Analysis of Final Rule on State Exchanges
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement website
- Health Care Reform Legislation Timeline
This timeline contains selected Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) implementation dates of interest to RNs as caregivers, RNs as patients, and RNs as employees.
The American Nurses Association (ANA) believes that everyone deserves access to the highest quality care, and that meaningful health care reform is essential.
You are now leaving the American Nurses Foundation
The American Nurses Foundation is a separate charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation does not engage in political campaign activities or communications.
The Foundation expressly disclaims any political views or communications published on or accessible from this website.Continue Cancel