Legislative and Regulatory Advocacy
Your resource for the latest legislative, regulatory, and state information surrounding COVID-19 and opportunities to contact your members of Congress
ANA’s Department of Policy and Government Affairs continues to work with Congress and the administration to provide vital PPE to frontline providers and various other issues of importance surrounding COVID-19. This page provides the latest information of these efforts, valuable federal and state resources, and how nurses and nurse advocates can get involved.
On June 5, 2020, ANA President Ernest Grant, PhD, RN, FAAN, moderated a webinar on racial-ethnic disparities during the COVID-19 pandemic, including a discussion of what nurses can do to improve these disparities.
ANA conducted a survey of nurses across all 50 states and 3 US territories, from July 24- August 14 to get an updated picture of the personal protective equipment (PPE) situation on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic. This survey highlights continuing PPE shortages across the country as well as PPE reuse and decontamination practices.
ANA conducted a survey of nurses across all 50 states and 3 US territories, from May 15-31, to get a clearer picture of the personal protective equipment (PPE) situation on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic. This survey highlights continuing PPE shortages across the country as well as PPE reuse and decontamination practices.
Frontline nurses deserve mental health services and hazard pay
Nurses and frontline health care workers continue to go above and beyond! Tell Congress to support them by providing federal resources dedicated to hazard pay and mental health support. #MentalHealthAwarenessMonth
Lawmakers Hear from ANA
- July 30, 2020 Testimony from ANA President Ernest Grant to the Senate Finance Committee Regarding Personal Protective Equipment
- July 22, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Letter to Capitol Hill asking for $100 billion of direct funding for health care workers in the next COVID-19 relief package.
- July 17, 2020 AHA/AMA/ANA Joint Letter to Capitol Hill to strengthen the federal response for marginalized communities
- June 26, 2020 ANA Letter to Chairman Alexander
- June 3, 2020 Testimony from ANA President Ernest Grant to the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee
- May 27, 2020 Testimony from ANA President Ernest Grant to the House Ways & Means Committee Regarding COVID-19 Disparities Among Communities of Color
- May 8, 2020 Letter to Capitol Hill outlining ANA's priorities for the fourth COVID-19 aid package
- May 1, 2020 AHA/ANA Joint Letter to Capitol Hill seeking additional funding to the Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund
- March 19, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Letter to Capitol Hill seeking $100 billion for frontline health care workers
- March 18, 2020 Joint Industry Letter to Administration & Capitol HIll recommending actions to address COVID-19
- March 16, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Letter to Capitol Hill seeking $1B for comprehensive strategy in response to COVID-19
- February 27, 2020 joint AHA/ANA Letter to Capitol Hill Regarding COVID-19
- COVID-19 State Resources
The Administration Hears from ANA
- ANA Letter to NIOSH Regarding Elastomeric Half Mask Respirators, dated October 12, 2020
- October 14, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Letter calling on the Administration to rescind Executive Order 13950
- September 4, 2020 letter to the National Academy of Medicine Committee on Equitable Allocation of Vaccine for the Novel Coronavirus
- August 19, 2020 letter to Operation Warp Speed Regarding Development, Prioritization, and Distribution of COVID-19 Vaccinations
- July 20, 2020 ANA Letter to HHS Secretary Azar Regarding COVID-19 Vaccines
- June 16, 2020 Letter to OSHA Regarding Temporary Emergency Standards
- June 16, 2020 Letter to CMS Regarding Regulatory Reform for Economic Recovery
- May 8, 2020 ANA President Ernest Grant's Letter to HHS Secretary Azar Regarding APRN Full Practice Authority and Emergency Waivers
- May 7, 2020 ANA Letter to President Trump
- April 16, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Letter to HHS Secy Azar Regarding Disparities in Federal Response
- April 8, 2020 ANA Letter to President Trump
- April 2, 2020 ANA Letter to HHS Secy Azar Regarding Special Enrollment for Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- March 21, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Letter to the President Requesting Immediate Use of the Defense Production Act
- March 12, 2020 ANA Mask Transparency Letter to Leadership
- March 12, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Letter to Vice President Michael Pence
- March 11, 2020 ANA Letter to Honorable Michael Pence in response to the work of the Administration and the Coronavirus Task Force
- July 6, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Open Letter to the Public urging face masks.
- June 1, 2020 Message to Governors regarding investment in public health
- April 15, 2020 Appeal to states to extend APRN Full Practice Authority Beyond the Pandemic Joint Nursing Letter
- March 24, 2020 Joint AHA/AMA/ANA Letter to the American Public Regarding Coronavirus
Keeping Abreast of COVID-19 in the States
On January 27, 2020, the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar declared a public health emergency (PHE) in the U.S. for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus under the authority of section 319 of the Public Health Service (PHS) Act.
A PHE declaration does not waive or preempt state licensing requirements. States determine whether and under what circumstances a non-federal health care provider is authorized to provide services in the state without state licensure.
Each state’s Board of Nursing is operating in conjunction with Governor’s Executive Orders, and there has been variation between states; with some decisions changing daily.
To learn about states emergency responses such as licensing waivers and applicable statutory/administrative provisions, go to https://www.ncsbn.org/14508.htm
For more information which may impact your practice environment:
Governor’s Executive Orders by State: https://web.csg.org/covid19/executive-orders/
State Legislative Action On COVID-19: https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-action-on-coronavirus-covid-19.aspx
State Health Departments – actions specific to COVID–19: https://search.usa.gov/search?affiliate=usagov&query=covid-19