Nursing Informatics: Scope and Standards of Practice, 2nd Ed
Nursing informatics (NI) is the specialty that integrates nursing science with multiple information and analytical sciences to identify, define, manage and communicate data, information, knowledge and wisdom in nursing practice.
Nursing informatics (NI) is the specialty that integrates nursing science with multiple information and analytical sciences to identify, define, manage and communicate data, information, knowledge and wisdom in nursing practice. For many people, NI, and health care informatics in general, are about technology. This is especially true of electronic health records (EHRs) that are required of all care facilities. That is just one among many aspects of nursing informatics, a distinctive practice specialty that is the focus of this new publication.
The second edition of Nursing Informatics: Scope and Standards of Practice is the most comprehensive, up-to-date resource available in this subject area. The book covers the full scope of nursing informatics and outlines the competency level of nursing practice and professional performance expected from all informatics nurses and nurse specialists. In addition, it details the nursing informatics competencies needed by any RN, spans all nursing careers and roles, and reflects the impact of informatics in any health care practice environment. This is a must-read for nurses, as informatics touches on every RN’s practice.
The publication’s scope of practice addresses the context of the who, what, where, when, why and how of NI practice for informatics nurses and informatics nurse specialists. That detailed scope of practice covers the following topics:
- Metastructures, Concepts and Tools of Nursing Informatics
- Functional Areas of Nursing Informatics
- Preparation for Nursing Informatics Specialty Practice
- Ethics in Nursing Informatics
- The Future of Nursing Informatics
- Trends in Regulatory Changes and Quality Standards
- And much more…
The 16 nursing informatics standards, which provide a framework for evaluating practice outcomes and goals, are those to which all informatics nurses are held accountable for their practice. The set of specific competencies accompanying each standard serves as essential evidence of compliance with that standard.
This foundational volume is primarily directed to those nurses involved with NI practice, education, administration and research. Other nurses, allied health care providers, researchers and scholars will find value in this content, as will employers, insurers, lawyers, policy makers, regulators and other stakeholders.
About the book
Downloads and Licensing
The American Nurses Association (ANA) holds the copyright on all published materials in print and electronic formats. In accessing an eBook from Nursesbooks.org, you have agreed to download the content for individual use only. After you purchase and download this title you:
- Are allowed three days to download the eBook and only one download per book.
- Are entitled to print the ANA eBook PDF for your own use.
- May not make multiple copies, broadcast, store (in any medium), transmit, display, adapt or modify in any way the content for any other purpose without prior written permission.
- May not lend, sell or give the ANA PDF eBook to another user.
- May not place the ANA PDF eBook file on a network or an file sharing service for use by anyone other than yourself or allow anyone else to access it.
All eBook purchases are final and non-refundable.
Site Licenses for eBooks
An eBook site license entitles you to share an electronic book with others in your facility or academic institution only, either by posting to a secure intranet site or by providing other means of secure access. The ANA site license gives everyone in your organization seamless simultaneous access to the evidence- and research-based nursing knowledge and information that they need—when and where they need it.
For use on a hospital intranet or university electronic reserve, please provide the following information:
- Title or list of ANA eBooks that will be included in the site license
- URL (Web Address) where this material will be posted
- Description of how the material will be accessed
- Whether the site is password protected
- Whether the material can be downloaded or printed
- Duration of term needed
- Projected number of people expected to access the material
Please send site license request to email@example.com. Please also include with your request, complete contact information, including your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone numbers. A site license coordinator will contact the primary contact via email to confirm the price and complete the transaction. Prepayment is required. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
See Sample Site License Agreement [PDF]