ANA Innovation Lounge
Are you a nurse interested in innovation? Join these interactive conversations designed to create a space for nurses to expand their thinking about the profession and health care, with a focus on innovation. Connect with nursing colleagues and leaders to enhance your skills, get motivated, and build upon your personal confidence.
- Meet nurses who are leading innovative efforts
- Engage in real-time networking around all aspects of nursing innovation
- Join a supportive environment working to accelerate innovation
- Learn from people who are driving conversations around nursing and health care
2023 ANA Innovation Lounges
April 2023 Innovation Lounge
Expanding Possibilities: Real-World Solutions for Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusions
A diverse group of nursing leaders discuss how they infuse justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion principles to thoughtfully address the needs of patients, communities, and the planet.
- Dr. Jodi Traver, PhD, RN, NE-BC Nurse Innovator and Educator UC San Diego Health
- Dr. Carol Zeigler, DNP, APRN, NP-C, APHN-BC Professor, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing Co-Founder of the Climate, Health, and Energy Equity Lab at the W’Ondry
- Dr. Scharmaine Lawson, FNP-BC, PMHNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN Innovator, Entrepreneur, and Author
June 2023 Innovation Lounge
Care Where You Live: How Nurses Are Leading the Mobile Care Revolution
Gain fresh perspectives on preventative health care services and learn how mobile care is meeting the needs of patients outside of traditional clinical settings. Our panel of nursing experts discuss how mobile care strategies are improving health equity and providing long-term sustainable solutions to address the social determinants of health.
- Dr. Emily Bentley, DNP, FNP-C, AGACNP-BC, University of South Alabama College of Nursing
- Dr. Barbara Chapman, DNP, APRN, FNP-C, EBP-C, NHDP-BE, PMHNP-BC, University of Texas at Tyler
- Dr. KaSheta J. Jackson, DNP, MSN, RN, ECU Health
September 2023 Innovation Lounge
Nurse Engineers: Building What Health Care Really Needs
Nursing should be recognized as a STEM discipline. Nurses are designing and building new products and constructing new paths forward using their unique experiences, practical approaches, and person-centered solutions. Learn how nursing education is shifting to prepare nurses to span industries.
- Dr. Nancy Downing, PhD, RN, SANE-A, SANE-P, FAAN, Texas A&M University
- Dr. Karen K. Giuliano, PhD, RN, MBA, FAAN, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Dr. Daniel Oerther, PhD, Missouri University of Science and Technology
October 2023 Innovation Lounge
Virtual Care in Hospitals & Homes: Nurses Where You Need Them
Learn how nurse leaders are driving the momentum of virtual care delivery while reducing costs, improving satisfaction, and improving accessibility. Our speakers are creating virtual care within health care organizations and across health care systems nationally to improve the patient and family experience.
- Tammy Cress, RN, MSN, Teladoc Health
- Dr. Carol Rosenberg, ND, DNP, RN, Ready.Sim.Go.
2022 ANA Innovation Lounges
Four lounges were hosted in 2022. If you missed any of the lounges, you can now view them in the videos below.
April 2022 ANA Innovation Lounge
The Nurses of Epidemic Intelligence
Learn from two nurses working as Officers for the Epidemic Intelligence Service at the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. These innovators are securing health and addressing national emergency response efforts. Learn more about their work, national opportunities, and how nursing perfectly positions nurses to lead national and global health.
- Julia Petras, MSPH, BSN, PHN, RN, EIS Officer, CDC
- Dr. Shanna Miko, DNP, MPH, RN, PED-BC, CPN, CCRN-K, EIS Officer, CDC
June 2022 ANA Innovation Lounge
How Listening Like a Poet Heals
Learn how "Listener Poets" from The Good Listening Project (TGLP) are working with nurses to ease emotional burden, process events, and make people's lived experiences visible. They've written thousands of custom poems for nurses and other healthcare workers based on the principle that healing and wellbeing start with feeling heard.
- Frankie Abralind, Executive Director, Good Listening Project
- Matt Brown, RN, Assistant Director, Staff Development, Virginia Hospital Center
- Elle Klassen, Listener Poet, The Good Listening Project
September 2022 ANA Innovation Lounge
Designing Whole Person Care
The Good Clinic is redefining primary care. By combining expertise, empathy, accessibility, and convenience, their Nurse Practitioner Model is changing the way care is delivered. Learn how they are focusing on co-creating good health with their patients through integrated preventative care, virtual care, and wellness planning.
- Kevin Lee Smith, DNP, FNP, FAANP, Chief Nurse Practitioner, Officer and Founder, The Good Clinic
- Sarah Tupper, APRN, CNP, Primary Care Provider, The Good Clinic
October 2022 ANA Innovation Lounge
Disrupting the Cycle of Homelessness
Learn from two innovators how nurses are leading disruptive models to impact underserved populations. Paul Leon created the Street2Home model of integrated healthcare and housing, one of the largest and most successful recuperative care systems in the country. Lauran Hardin developed the Complex Care Center model, serving diverse populations with complex social needs. They've joined forces to scale these efforts across the country.
- Lauran Hardin, MSN, CNL, FNAP, FAAN, Senior Advisor, Illumination Foundation & National Health Care and Housing Advisors
- Paul Leon, CEO and Founder, Illumination Foundation