Nurse Staffing 101: A Decision-making Guide for the RN
A resource for RNs in developing effective and facility-specific approaches to optimal staffing decisions and plans.
Nurses are often required to work long hours and night shifts. Increased workloads often lead to job-related burnout, job dissatisfaction, and increased risk for patient safety. As a nurse manager or charge nurse you are challenged with achieving appropriate levels of nurse staffing to achieve quality outcomes.
ANA’s new Nurse Staffing 101: A Decision-making Guide for the RN contains tools to help you develop effective and facility-specific approaches to optimal staffing decisions and plans. It covers the essential topics:
- Historical and political setting of safe staffing
- Workplace, safety, and quality considerations
- Examples of professional nursing practice models
- Staffing at the organizational level in terms of workload variances
- Current practices and possible solutions for determining and achieving the requisite staffing levels and measureable quality outcomes
As an added bonus, the guide contains a handy summary checklist, based on ANA’s Principles for Nurse Staffing (2012) to assist with the decision making process.
About This Book
Director of Clinical Practice, Innovation, and Research
Lauri Lineweaver, BSN, RN, is the Director of Clinical Practice, Innovation, and Research at Presbyterian Healthcare Services in New Mexico, and holds national certification in critical care and cardiac surgery. She is currently a nursing PhD candidate and Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy fellow at the University of New Mexico Nursing and Health Policy Collaborative. Her research focuses primarily on predictive staffing models, nursing workforce issues, and organizational analysis.
Downloads and Licensing
The American Nurses Association (ANA) holds the copyright on all published materials in print and electronic formats. In accessing an eBook from Nursesbooks.org, you have agreed to download the content for individual use only. After you purchase and download this title you:
- Are allowed three days to download the eBook and only one download per book.
- Are entitled to print the ANA eBook PDF for your own use.
- May not make multiple copies, broadcast, store (in any medium), transmit, display, adapt or modify in any way the content for any other purpose without prior written permission.
- May not lend, sell or give the ANA PDF eBook to another user.
- May not place the ANA PDF eBook file on a network or an file sharing service for use by anyone other than yourself or allow anyone else to access it.
All eBook purchases are final and non-refundable.
Site Licenses for eBooks
An eBook site license entitles you to share an electronic book with others in your facility or academic institution only, either by posting to a secure intranet site or by providing other means of secure access. The ANA site license gives everyone in your organization seamless simultaneous access to the evidence- and research-based nursing knowledge and information that they need—when and where they need it.
For use on a hospital intranet or university electronic reserve, please provide the following information:
- Title or list of ANA eBooks that will be included in the site license
- Duration of term needed
- Projected number of people expected to access the material
Please send site license request to email@example.com. Please also include with your request, complete contact information, including your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone numbers. A site license coordinator will contact the primary contact via email to confirm the price and complete the transaction. Prepayment is required. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
See Sample Site License Agreement [PDF]