The New Nurse Managers Workshop: Your Roadmap to Success (November 15-16, 2018)
Rose Sherman, Joyce Batcheller
This 2-day workshop will give nurse managers a complete guide on what they need to Know and how they can implement those skills to successfully manage the litany of concerns they face in their jobs on a day-to-day basis.
Nurses are promoted to become nurse managers and CNOs with often little or no understanding of the leadership and business skills needed to succeed in that role. They pick up pieces of those skill-sets here and there but are rarely given a game-plan for how to do it all and what the skills needed to succeed even are. This workshop puts it all together. It lays out all they need to know to succeed and gives them the background and “how-to” to successfully implement those skills. From leadership and communication skills to manage staff, to the business skills needed to effectively run the business-side of their units, this workshop gives them the tools they need to be successful nurse managers.
This 2-day workshop will give nurse managers a complete guide on what they need to Know and how they can implement those skills to successfully manage the litany of concerns they face in their jobs on a day-to-day basis. From communication and leadership skills to financial, staffing, and nurse fatigue education, this hands-on workshop will give new nurses the skills they need to succeed in these new roles.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Synthesize essential skills of nursing leadership and their impact on staff and the work environment
- Translate performance gaps into implementation strategies
- Design a roadmap to achieve leadership success
- Describe key competencies for nursing managers
EdD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN
Dr. Rose Sherman joined the faculty in June of 2002 as Director of the Nursing Leadership Institute. Prior to assuming this position, Dr Sherman had a 25 year career with the Department of Veterans Affairs where she held leadership positions at five major VA Medical Centers including the West Palm Beach VA Medical Center, the Miami VA Medical Center, the New York VA Medical Center, the Seattle VA Medical and the Washington DC VA Medical Center.
Dr. Sherman has extensive national experience speaking on a wide variety of leadership topics. She is the lead faculty for both the Emerging Leaders and Nursing Administration Master's Program. Dr. Sherman was named Florida Nurse Leader of the Year in 2005, by the Florida Organization of Nurse Executives; selected by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for a three year Nurse Executive Fellowship, in 2006 and selected as the Distinguished Teacher of the Year for Florida Atlantic University in 2008. she was selected as a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing in 2010.
DNP, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN
Dr.Joyce Batcheller is the President of CNO Solutions and is primarily responsible for the leadership development which includes the CNO Academy, CNO Executive Circle and on-boarding strategies. Joyce serves in a faculty role at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Nursing, Lubbock, Texas and is an American Nursing Association Nursing Knowledge Center consultant. Joyce has extensive experience in leading large system changes within a complex multi-hospital system. She served as chief nursing officer for 19 years of the largest health care system in Central Texas. She created and implemented a system wide shared governance model and led a pilot site for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Institute of Healthcare Improvement Transforming Care at the Bedside Project, eventually implementing its principles into patient care at all system facilities. Under her watch, nine of the system hospitals achieved American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) designation — four with Magnet® and five with Pathway to Excellence®.
Joyce has specialized in chief nursing officer on-boarding and authored numerous peer-reviewed publications on the subject. She is a holder of Fundamentals of Magnet® certificate. Dr. Batcheller is an innovative healthcare leader known for her ability to transform nursing and improve patient outcomes. Joyce inspires nurses and other health professionals to reach their full potential. Her ability to create a compelling vision and structures that engage, empower and stimulate innovation is one of her unique talents.
- Pre-assessment (should take approximately 15 minutes) – 36 questions
- Demographic pre-assessment – 15 questions
8:30-9:00 Welcome, Introductions and Program Overview
9:00-10:15 Stepping into the Leadership Role
- Managing Yourself
- Discussion of Your Self-assessment/Derailment Factors (DO IN ADVANCE OF WORKSHOP)
- The Contemporary Nurse Manager Role and Responsibilities (Group Exercise – Workload Management)
- What Followers Expect from Their Leaders
- Why Emotional Intelligence Matters
- How to be an Authentic Leader
- Ethics and Moral Courage in Leadership
10:30-12:00 Communication and Collaboration in Leadership Roles
- Bridging the Communication Chasm
- Communication Across Generations (Group Speed Networking Exercise)
- Networking and Relationship Building
- Feedback is a Gift
1:15-2:30 Human Resource Management Basics
- Recruiting and Interviewing Staff (Interviewing Exercise)
- Avoiding Discrimination
- Family Medical Leave Act
- What You Need to Know about Collective Bargaining
2:45-4:15 Performance Management
- Coaching Staff toward Higher Performance
- Managing Performance Issues (Crucial Conversations Role Play)
- Navigating Team Conflict in Leadership Roles
- Promoting Staff Engagement
DAY TWO: Leading the Organization
8:30-10:00 Financial Acumen
- Nursing specific information -staffing, equipment...
- Changes in reimbursement landscape
- Mission/strategy development that is aligned from the boardroom to the bedside and beyond
- Leading using data and EBP
- Data/Assessment (population health and patient experience)
- Fostering innovation and managing resistance to change
1:00-2:00: Leaders Role in creating a professional practice environment: Quadruple Aim
- Principles of professional practice and engagement
- Job embeddedness
- Hiring for "fit"
- Getting the work done through others
- Basics on how leaders impact these issues - Code of Ethics and Scope of Standards
- Nursing shortage predictions/work force planning
- High reliability
- Care for the caretakers
For special room rates click here.
- 8515 Georgia Avenue
- Silver Spring