The New Nurse Manager Basics Workshop – Orlando, FL (Magnet Pre-Con)
Registration and payment for this course will take place through the Magnet Website.
Click Here to register now!
Early Bird: $549 General: $599
*Registration closes October 4, 2019.
From leadership and communication skills, to the management skills needed to effectively run the business-side of their units, this interactive workshop puts it all together to give nurse managers the tools they need to be successful.
Nurses are often promoted to become nurse managers with little or no understanding of the leadership and business skills needed to succeed in the role. They pick up pieces of the leadership skill-set but are rarely given a game-plan for the basics that are required in order to make the transition into leadership. From leadership and communication to the business knowledge necessary to run a unit effectively, this one-day interactive workshop is designed to provide you with key skills necessary to be a successful nurse manager.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Describe the key competencies for nurse managers.
- Synthesize basic skills of nursing leadership and their impact on staff and the work environment.
- Design a roadmap to achieve ongoing leadership success.
EdD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN
Dr. Rose Sherman joined the faculty in June of 2002 as Director of the Nursing Leadership Institute. Prior to assuming this position, Dr Sherman had a 25 year career with the Department of Veterans Affairs where she held leadership positions at five major VA Medical Centers including the West Palm Beach VA Medical Center, the Miami VA Medical Center, the New York VA Medical Center, the Seattle VA Medical and the Washington DC VA Medical Center.
Dr. Sherman has extensive national experience speaking on a wide variety of leadership topics. She is the lead faculty for both the Emerging Leaders and Nursing Administration Master's Program. Dr. Sherman was named Florida Nurse Leader of the Year in 2005, by the Florida Organization of Nurse Executives; selected by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for a three year Nurse Executive Fellowship, in 2006 and selected as the Distinguished Teacher of the Year for Florida Atlantic University in 2008. she was selected as a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing in 2010.
ANA Workshop – New Nurse Manager Basics
October 9th, 2019
8:00-8:30 Coffee, Tea, and Water
8:30- 9:00 Welcome, Introductions and Program Overview
9:00-10:00 Stepping into a Leadership Role
- The Contemporary Manager Role and Responsibilities
- Managing Yourself
- Building Trust - How to be an Authentic Leader
- Adopting a Coaching Mindset in Your Leadership Role
10:00 – 10:15 Break
10:30 – 12:00 Communication and Collaboration in Leadership Roles
- Mastering Good Communication
- Bridging the Communication Chasm Across Generations
- Giving Constructive Feedback
- Navigating Conflict
12:00 – 12:45 PM Lunch Break
1:15 PM -2:30 Managing Staff Performance
- Coaching Staff to a Higher Level of Performance
- Managing Resistance to Change
- Promoting Staff Engagement
- Avoiding Team Dysfunction/Incivility
- Promoting Staff Resilience
2:30PM – 2:45 Break
2:45 – 4:00PM Resource Management
- Healthcare Reimbursement
- Budget Basics
- Nurse Staffing in a Time of Shortage
4:00 PM – 4:30 PM Next Steps
- Promote your Ongoing Development
- Course Evaluation
October 9, 2019
Orange County Convention Center (room TBD)
9800 International Dr
Orlando, FL 32819
- 9800 International Drive