ANA Enterprise 2020 - 2023 Strategic Plan
One Vision, One Mission
The ANA Enterprise is the family of organizations that includes the American Nurses Association (ANA), the American Nurses Foundation (Foundation), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Our three organizations work together to achieve our shared vision, mission, and values.
Previously, each of these organizations operated according to individual strategic plans. In July 2019, the ANA, Foundation, and ANCC boards decided to transition from three individual strategic plans to one ANA Enterprise 2020-2023 Strategic Plan to fully leverage our collective knowledge and strength to achieve our vision, advance our mission, and ensure a strong, unified, national voice for the profession of nursing.
ANA Enterprise Vision
A healthy world through the power of nursing
ANA Enterprise Mission
Lead the profession to shape the future of nursing and health care
ANA Enterprise Values
Our values guide our collective thinking and actions. They represent the fundamental beliefs that support our vision, shape our culture, guide decision-making, and inform our strategic direction.
- Trusted: We act with integrity, respect, transparency, and humility in all we do.
- Inclusive: We embrace the uniqueness of every individual, including diversity of thought, as we work collaboratively to bring our very best.
- Innovative: We are creative, nimble, open to change, and we will never stop striving for excellence.
- Empowered: We choose to see it, own it, solve it, and do it, through shared decision-making, optimism, and joy.
The ANA Enterprise 2020-2023 Strategic Plan puts our shared vision, mission and values into action to allow the ANA Enterprise to be a true catalyst for creating a healthy world and leading the nursing profession to shape the future of nursing and health care.
ANA Enterprise 2020-2023 Strategic Plan: Goals and Objectives
The ANA Enterprise 2020-2023 Strategic Plan includes our strategic goals and objectives representing our priorities and our areas of focus. Click HERE to download in PDF format.
Goal 1: Elevate the Profession of Nursing Globally
Objective 1.1. Elevate the value of nursing in health care and with consumers
While nurses spend the most time with patients than any other care provider and are considered the most trusted professionals in America, opportunities exist to further advance the value and role of nurses across diverse practice settings and in the minds of consumers. As health care continues its transformation to a consumer-driven model, enhancing consumer awareness of and engagement with nursing and promoting the credentialing of nursing globally will advance opportunities for nurses and the profession. We will do this by achieving the following Key Results:
- Establish ANA Enterprise as the sought after/respected resource for the voice of nursing
- Raise brand awareness of the ANA Enterprise
Objective 1.2: Grow and diversify credentialing portfolio
With health care becoming more complex and specialized, it is increasingly important for individual registered nurses, programs, and organizations to build credibility by demonstrating competence and a commitment to excellence. An opportunity exists to expand and diversify ANCC’s credentialing portfolio to support emerging areas of nursing practice. We will do this by achieving the following Key Results:
- Increase awareness of the value of credentialing with individual registered nurses, programs, and organizations
- Diversify ANCC’s credentialing offerings for individual registered nurses, programs, and organizations
Objective 1.3: Build a body of evidence to demonstrate how ANA Enterprise products and programs positively impact the practice environment across diverse settings
In an environment with limited resources and greater emphasis on measuring and reporting outcomes, organizations are increasingly required to provide evidence of results. We will support this growing trend and need, by achieving the following Key Result:
- Demonstrate how ANA Enterprise products and programs drive improvement in practice work environments and patient outcomes globally.
Goal 2: Engage All Nurses to Ensure Professional Success
Objective 2.1: Deliver data-driven personalized programs, products, and services to nurses throughout their careers
In 2017, ANA identified three priority audiences – Early Career, Up & Comers, and Nursing Leaders – and initiated efforts to develop targeted programs, products, and services for these segments. As the expectation and demand for personalization grows exponentially, the ANA Enterprise will continue to leverage data-driven insights to provide the most relevant programs, products, and services to deliver the greatest value to nurses throughout their careers. We will do this by achieving the following Key Results:
- Extend the use of the career stage segmentation model to increase value and drive revenue
- Create synergies to increase engagement and sales across the ANA Enterprise
- Use content and channels to deepen engagement at every stage, from student to retirement
- Develop and launch a personal career portfolio platform
Objective 2.2: Increase customer loyalty with the ANA Enterprise
Today’s world is filled with expanding options for obtaining professional information, career development, membership affiliations, social networking, and credentialing. Increasing customer loyalty is an essential approach for remaining relevant and increasing the value to customers over time. We will do this by achieving the following Key Result:
- Create relevant customer-centric journeys and experiences based on data and voice of the customer
Objective 2.3: Identify and grow priority nurse segments.
As health care evolves and APRNs become even more central to new models of care delivery, the ANA Enterprise will ensure that its policies, programs, and other offerings add value for this important segment of nurses. We will do this by achieving the following Key Result:
- Enhance the ANA Enterprise’s approach to addressing the unique needs of APRNs
Goal 3: Evolve the Practice of Nursing to Transform Health and Health Care
Objective 3.1: Advance workforce priorities and improve the work environment across diverse practice settings
Nurses face challenges in their work environment, such as inadequate staffing, workplace, violence, bullying, and fatigue, which negatively impact the personal health of nurses and patient outcomes. ANA will continue to advocate for and empower nurses and organizations with resources to create healthy, productive, and effective work environments. We will do this by achieving the following Key Results:
- Advance solutions to address nurse staffing
- Advance solutions to address workplace violence
- Improve nurses’ health by advancing Healthy Nurse Healthy Nation year 3 goals
- Respond to and influence the current and emerging needs of nurses during the COVID-19 public health crisis
Objective 3.2: Evolve nursing programs and practice priorities
ANA’s programs, positions, and Code of Ethics guide the nursing profession and educate decision-makers on nursing practices and policies. As health care delivery becomes increasingly complex, ANA will continue to help nurses assume new and expanded roles in emerging areas of practice and maintain the highest standards of quality in nursing practice and the ethical obligations of the profession. We will do this by achieving the following Key Results:
- Leverage ANA’s foundational work to advance professional nursing practice
- Advance priority nursing practice, policy, and advocacy issues
Objective 3.3: Expand coverage and payment to reform health care
Antiquated policies and reimbursement rules restrict access to nursing services and limit innovation of new nurse-focused care delivery models. ANA will continue advocating for equitable payment for nursing services, allowing nurses to practice at the top of their license, and equal reimbursement rates when nurses provide the same services under the same billing codes. We will do this by achieving the following Key Result:
- Advance parity in coverage and payment for nursing services in public and private health care systems
Objective 3.4: Develop nurses to lead and innovate
As health care continues to transform through new consumer-driven business models, emerging technologies, and new forms of care delivery, an opportunity exists to further the role of nurses and nursing in driving innovation and leading transformative change. We will do this by achieving the following Key Results:
- Assist nurses in obtaining and communicating leadership roles that advance ANA Enterprise goals
- Define, deliver and communicate innovation research and projects that demonstrate the future of the profession and its impact on health care transformation
- Complete future of practice, regulation, and education envisioning project
Objective 3.5: Address racism in the nursing profession
Systemic issues of racism have been longstanding in the U.S. as well as in the nursing profession. Racism leads to disparities in care. Nursing needs to look inward, reflect on and acknowledge the profession’s history, and make a conscious and sustained effort to end racism and all forms of discrimination within the profession and practice of nursing. We will do this by achieving the following Key Result:
- Launch a National Commission on Racism in Nursing to facilitate a national discussion in nursing resulting in the identification and prioritization of recommendations to address racism in nursing. These recommendations will not only inform ANA’s agenda into 2022, but also serve to galvanize the entire profession to address racism in nursing.
Goal 4: Enable Transformational Capabilities Through Operational Excellence
Objective 4.1: Deliver optimal technology capabilities for the ANA Enterprise technology services
Delivering value to customers, creating engaging experiences, and innovating in today’s world requires stable, secure and effective technology. We will do this by achieving the following Key Result:
- Align IT resources with business strategy, protect Enterprise information assets, and ensure continuity of operations
Objective 4.2: Promote equity, diversity and inclusion across the ANA Enterprise to encourage culturally informed workplace practices
Equity, diversity and inclusion continue to grow and be recognized as essential to society. An opportunity exists for the ANA Enterprise to create and role model the highest standards and potential, to influence and help others adopt high performing, equitable, diverse and inclusive work environments and cultures. We will do this by achieving the following Key Results:
- Be recognized as a values-driven workplace that embraces inclusivity and promotes diversity and equity internally
- Be recognized as a community-focused employer of choice with highly-engaged employees
Objective 4.3: Apply a comprehensive project management approach to ANA Enterprise resource prioritization, planning, and optimization
Today’s fast-paced environment requires a disciplined approach to managing resources, prioritizing opportunities, and implementing projects. We will do this by achieving the following Key Result:
- Create a comprehensive project management capability to ensure the ANA Enterprise’s resources are planned for, prioritized, and optimized
You are now leaving the American Nurses Foundation
The American Nurses Foundation is a separate charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation does not engage in political campaign activities or communications.
The Foundation expressly disclaims any political views or communications published on or accessible from this website.Continue Cancel