AMERICAN NURSES ASSOCIATION
House of Delegates
Title: Reduction of Health Care Production of Toxic Pollution
Source: ANA House of Delegates
Policy/Position: The ANA House of Delegates agreed to:
- Endorse the position statement (Regulated Medical Waste Definition and Treatment: A Collaborative Documentposition) on regulated medical waste as published by the Association of Operating Room Nurses.
- Collaborate with other organizations to develop federal and state standards for:
- dioxin emission from medical waste incinerators
- PVC product alternatives
- mercury-free health care facilities
- non-incineration methods of medical waste disposal.
- by-products from the use of lasers or electrosurgical units
- Educate registered nurses and other health care personnel about medical waste issues.