ANA NATIONAL AWARDS PROGRAM GUIDELINES
Information on the ANA National Awards Program, including the criteria for each of the 14 awards, nomination process, nomination forms and deadlines may be accessed through http://www.nursingworld.org/FunctionalMenuCategories/AboutANA/Honoring-Nurses/NationalAwardsProgram. They are also available through the ANA constituent and state nurses associations (C/SNAs) and the Individual Member Division. Alternatively, requests for electronic copies may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
WHO CAN NOMINATE
• Constituent and State Nurses Associations (C/SNAs)
• Organizational Affiliates (OAs)
• C/SNA/ANA members
Use the appropriate 2014 form which can be accessed at http://www.nursingworld.org/FunctionalMenuCategories/AboutANA/Honoring-Nurses/NationalAwardsProgram. Each of the 14 awards has its own nomination form. The name of the award is directly under the heading “ANA NATIONAL AWARDS PROGRAM”.
- Ensure that each nominee meets all of the appropriate award criteria.
Nominations for those who do not meet the appropriate award criteria will not be considered. Current members of the ANA Board of Directors, ANA staff, and Committee on Honorary Awards may not be nominated for awards.
- Individuals and interested parties may start the nomination process by contacting and collaborating with each other in preparing factual and complete packets.
- Providers of letters of support and/or print validations of a nominee’s contributions and achievements should accurately describe a nominee’s leadership, contributions, impact and achievements in patient care, the nursing profession, public health and/or health services, and/or advancement of gender/ethnic/racial minority groups in nursing.
- Current members of the ANA Board of Directors, ANA staff, and Committee on Honorary Awards and its subcommittees may not provide letters of support.
- Each item on the nomination form should be answered. Incomplete nomination forms or nominations submitted on the wrong form will not be considered.
- Bullets should be used to discretely and clearly describe the each nominee’s achievements or contributions meet a specific award criterion.
- All nominations are encouraged to be submitted electronically.
- Each entry, except for signatures, should be typed. Nomination forms with handwritten entries, except for signatures, will not be considered.
COMPLETE NOMINEE PACKET
Check each nominee packet for completeness and accuracy. A complete nominee packet consists of the following:
- a completed 2014 nomination form for a specific award.
- a current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes a nominee’s education, experience, leadership activities, and contributions at the national, state, and district levels. For deceased nominees, the most recent CV should be submitted. If a CV is not available, as much information on the deceased nominee’s education, experience and accomplishments as can be assembled should be submitted with a note that the CV is not available.
- EITHER a maximum of five current letters of support OR a maximum of three current letters of support and a maximum of two print validations (e.g., articles published in professional journals, books, newspaper articles on nominees) of a nominee’s achievements and contributions.
The checklist is designed to help ensure that each nominee packet meets all of the requirements. Nominee packets without a completed checklist will not be considered.
Staff Nurse Advocacy Award
For the Staff Nurse Advocacy Award, a maximum of five documents as described above must include a maximum of three supporting letters from the nominee’s patients, peers, medical staff, co-workers or the community.
Any letter of support and/or print validation submitted in excess of the described total of five will not be considered. Supporting materials will be counted in the order in which they are presented in the nominee packet.
ANA Hall of Fame Award
For a deceased nominee for the ANA Hall of Fame Award, enter “DECEASED” on the appropriate signature space.
NOMINATION DUE DATE
Nominations must be submitted to email@example.com by 5:00pm Eastern Time on Tuesday, January 28, 2014. Nominations received after this date/time will not be considered. If you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ANA Committee on Honorary Awards
c/o Leadership Services
American Nurses Association
8515 Georgia Avenue, Suite 400
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910
The ANA Board of Directors approves the selection of recipients for all national awards. The board-appointed Committee on Honorary Awards is charged to review all nominations for specific awards and make recommendations to the board.